This is my writing blog, where I will be shamelessly posting my work. Poems, short stories, flash fiction, extracts from novels...they'll all be here. And if you don't like any of that, just play with the tiger.

Saturday 15 September 2007

Quietly encouraged

Here I am in my nice new home, complete with a set of all-over bruises and a suspected cardboard rash. When I eventually unearthed the computer and smiled beseechingly at my other half until he set it up, I found a paradox in my inbox.
It was a good rejection. The editor concerned said he greatly enjoyed my story, but hadn't been able to fit it into the current issue of his magazine. He did, however, say that I was welcome to re-submit it for another edition. Yes, I know it's still a rejection, but it is a far easier one to take than the cold, detached form letters favoured by most publishers. I take this as rare but conclusive proof that not all editors are heartless swines, and feel a good deal chirpier about the whole writing business for it.

4 comments:

Drags said...

hope you are happy in your new home viki. and you should be thrilled about the so-called rejection...that isn't. good luck with it. x

Viki Lane said...

Thanks very much on both counts

Gatepost productions said...

Hope your new home is even better than you ever hoped for.

That wasn't a rejection, that was a 'busy try later'.... well done you!

Viki Lane said...

Cheers John. The house is lovely - even the cat likes it now.

What a great thought...maybe they could have sent me a recorded message instead...'your story is important to us...the first paragraph is being held in a queue until one of our editors becomes available...'


With thanks to Graeme